Are You Marriage Material

If you’ve ever mulled over the idea of popping the question or have had a girlfriend put pressure on you to do so, you know how life-altering making this decision feels. To help you avoid making any choices you might regret, we’ve compiled an inventory you can use to judge your readiness for marriage. From your own demographics to your childhood experiences to your individual values, attitudes and personality toward relationships, we’ve rounded up the five critical indicators you should assess to find out if you are marriage material
Demographics
Simple demographics, such as for example your age once you get married, your degree of education as well as your income might have a surprising effect on the success of one’s marriage. For instance, studies suggest you ought to be at least 26 yrs . old once you get married (Source: National Survey of Family Growth, 2002, conducted by the National Center for Health Statistics). Aswell, staying in school appears to have an effect on whether you obtain married at all – 64% of college graduates are married in comparison to 48% of these with senior high school diplomas (Source: Pew Research Center). Finally, if your as well as your prospective mate’s combined income reaches least $50,000, there is a 68% prospect of reaching your 15th loved-one’s birthday, whereas if your salary falls in to a lower income bracket, the opportunity that you’ll ever marry is leaner (Source: Pew Research Center).
Created for marriage: You’re headed toward your 30s (or you’re already into them), you’ve got a minumum of one degree under your belt and you also as well as your girlfriend earn a combined the least $50,000 each year.
Your attachment style
Your attachment style characterizes how you behave and feel in relationships, and stems largely from early childhood experiences together with your parents. Approximately 65% of children can be classified as having a secure attachment style, with the other 35% classifiable as having one of the other three insecure attachment styles, which are known as anxious-preoccupied, dismissive-avoidant and fearful-avoidant (Source: Prior & Glasser, 2006). Adults with secure attachment styles tend to choose partners with secure attachment styles and go on to have lasting relationships. Individuals with insecure attachment styles, alternatively, are drawn toward mates with insecure attachment styles and have higher chances of divorcing (Source: Clarke-Stewart & Brentano, 2006).
Made for marriage: As a child, you had your emotional needs met and were loved consistently. As an adult, your romantic relationships have not been plagued by a pattern of jealousy, continual fear that your partner will leave you or the belief that you’re better off without a relationship.
Your values
Personal values, such as your reasons for getting hitched in the first place and your views on the purpose of marriage, also exert a significant influence on whether you’re marriage material. As well, whether or not you live with your girlfriend before you tie the knot also affects the prospective success of a marriage. Despite the fact that it’s now common for some couples to take action, living together before you’re engaged isn’t necessarily an excellent test of whether your marriage will continue to work. In fact, it could even be detrimental – as cohabitating actually results in a 6% drop in the chance that you will stay married for greater than a decade (Source: National Survey of Family Growth, 2002, conducted by the National Center for Health Statistics).
That means that should you favor the more conservative route of waiting until you’re engaged to go in, it’s possible you’ll still be living beneath the same roof a decade later. To choose if marriage is right for you personally, it is additionally vital to examine what the institution methods to you to begin with. In accordance with research, 87% of married people say that marriage is approximately a lifelong commitment and 81% believe its about companionship, whereas only 59% say it’s about children and only 31% site financial stability as reasonable to walk down that aisle (Source: Pew Research Center). Also, the caliber of the friendship you have together with your bride-to-be might take into account around 70% of the satisfaction you both will feel with the sex, romance and passion in your marriage (Source: John Gottman, 1999).

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *